Saturday, September 10, 2005

Best news I've heard in a long time

Trying not to get caught up in the dualing realities of Politics vs. real world
and OD'ing in the surrealness of the 2 realities.... I'm detatching more.

Aside from keeping my busy friends informed (and blogging here) of what I
feel is the light shining on the truth. I've taken to putting all my energy into
praying for all those who stayed and all those who are forced to evacuate and all those who
are in shelters - that they get a new life. A better life. New beginning and
they leap frog over the chasm to the other side. Then I read this. May
start small. Bit by bit. But it's possible. And you have to always believe it's
possible. That Good CAN come from this. That the meek WILL indeed inherit
the earth. Still is not that much money but this one man is going to, for the
next 4 months, make more than double of most he's ever made in his life.
That's the best news I've heard in a long time.

Here's excerpt from one reporters view of those who were left behind.

At night, most of those who have stayed hunker down indoors. A few have clung to another routine, hanging out at a neighborhood bar that now serves its beer warm. On one recent night, a dozen or so in the French Quarter gathered at a darkened bar, lit only by tall prayer candles, a radio blaring out some scratchy tunes.
The bar's telephone actually worked. Callers wanted to know if Johnny was there, or Sam, or what happened to Martha. Patrons warned each other to stay inside, not to wander out on the sidewalk with an open bottle; police, they said, would haul you in for violating curfew.
In the daylight, about a dozen men were hired to clean sidewalks in the French Quarter under a blaring sun. The sprucing up had begun, with the floodwater stench wafting through the narrow streets a reminder of the disaster.
"I just went over to where all those trucks were parked to see if they were hiring, and they were," said Robert Rogers, 58. "They said I'd have a job for at least three or four months. And it pays a lot better than what I was making. Most I made before the storm was $30 a day. These people are paying $125 a day.
"We're going to get all these sidewalks cleaned up so people can walk down them, because they're going to be coming back," Rogers said

No comments: