Sunday, July 16, 2006

Americans for Kyoto ratification

Sad to say only 2112 signatures thus far. How pathetic are we? Please join the chorus of American Cities and States in saying the US should ratify Kyoto and reduce fossil fuel emissions into Earth's atmosphere NOW. Find your voice or lose your planet. www.petitiononline.com/Kyoto/petition.html

To: United States Senate
Americans for Kyoto Petition In signing this petition, I, a citizen of the United States, hereby pledge my support of the Kyoto Protocol, a Treaty agreed to by 178 nations to reduce the emissions that contribute to the greenhouse effect and global warming. The United States is the world's largest polluter. Yet in Bonn, Germany, the U.S. was the only major industrialized nation to reject the Kyoto Protocol. Showing little regard for the concerns of the international community, and seemingly without any credence in the findings of the world's most prominent scientists, Bush rejected the Kyoto Protocol, claiming that the American economy would suffer. This is not only an international embarassment but most importantly, the decision represents a danger to the future of our world as we know it. As a citizen of the United States, I voice my strong opposition to Mr. Bush's decision, and hereby stand with the majority of Americans, who voted for and want our nation to endorse and comply with the Kyoto Treaty. We the people intend to endorse and comply with the Treaty, with or without the so-called leader of the free world. The Kyoto Pledge As an American for Kyoto, 1. I pledge to do all within my power to see that the United States abides by the rules of the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, an international plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that lead to global warming. 2. I pledge to strongly encourage the United States Senate to support the Kyoto Protocol. a) I will ask the U.S. Senate to support the plan to decrease emission levels by 7% of 1990 levels, and abide by the set of binding emission targets established in the Kyoto Protocol for industrialized nations. b) I will ask the U.S. Senate to support an energy plan that requires more energy-efficient appliances, greater fuel efficiency in automobiles, and provides tax incentives for renewable energy sources to effectively decrease our dependence on fossil fuels which lead to global warming. And to stop subsidizing the oil and coal industries NOW. 3. I pledge to show my solidarity with the international community by boycotting Exxon Mobil (Esso), as this dirty corporation is the biggest opponent of the Kyoto Protocol. They refuse to acknowledge a link between the burning of fossil fuels and global warming. 4. I pledge to encourage my local and state governments to voluntarily reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 7% below 1990 levels, and to also abide by the set of binding emission targets established in the Kyoto Protocol for industrialized nations. I will also encourage tree planting in my community. 5. I pledge to cut down on my own fossil-fuel dependence by pledging to drive less, take public transportation or ride-share whenever possible. 6. I pledge to contact my elected representatives as often as possible, reach out in my community through petition drives and flyers, and protest Bush's decision to withdraw from Kyoto whenever necessary. 7. I pledge to encourage others to take the Kyoto Pledge and sign this petition. For more information or to sign your group up to this national coalition, please contact Citizens For Legitimate Government, www.legitgov.org, contactus@legitgov.or
Sincerely,
The Undersigned

No comments: